Manchester City's League Cup reign over

Manchester City's reign as League Cup champions ended with a penalty shootout loss at West Ham.
Manchester City's reign as League Cup champions ended with a penalty shootout loss at West Ham.

Manchester City's four-year reign as English League Cup titleholders is over.

City lost 5-3 to West Ham in a penalty shootout in the last 16 on Wednesday after the game finished 0-0 in regulation time at the London Stadium.

Phil Foden struck City's first penalty wide and it proved costly as West Ham converted all of their spot kicks, with Said Benrahma scoring the decisive fifth.

That condemned City to their first elimination in the League Cup since losing to Manchester United at the same stage five years ago.

Pep Guardiola's deep squad had won the competition every season since the 2017-18 campaign, with six of the last eight editions going to City.

"Nothing is eternal," Guardiola said. "We fought a lot to win and win this competition. Today it's finished, and next season we'll be back to win it again."

It marked a brilliant Manchester double for West Ham, who eliminated Man United at Old Trafford in the last 32.

"We were playing against a City second team that could fight for the (Premier League) title," West Ham captain Mark Noble said.

"What a night for the club."

City might have rested a slew of key players including Ederson, Ruben Dias and Bernardo Silva, but stars Kevin De Bruyne, Ilkay Gundogan and Raheem Sterling were in the team while Foden and Jack Grealish were among the substitutes who entered in the second half.

West Ham defended obdurately, though, and restricted City to few clear-cut opportunities despite also resting important players like top scorer Michail Antonio and Declan Rice.

The competition is open now with Liverpool, Tottenham and Leicester joining the quarterfinal lineup that also contains Chelsea and Arsenal.

Liverpool continued their unbeaten start to the season in all competitions by beating second-tier Preston 2-0, with Takumi Minamino and Divock Origi scoring in the second half.

Origi's goal in the 84th minute was the highlight. The Belgium striker reacted to a loose ball just outside the six-yard box by flicking it with his heel over the goalkeeper and into the net.

Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp named a completely different team to the one that started the 5-0 win over Man United, with replacement right back Neco Williams having a hand in both goals.

Leicester beat Brighton 4-2 at King Power Stadium on penalties on the third anniversary of a helicopter crash that killed club chairman, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha.

The game finished 2-2, with Leicester going ahead twice - through Harvey Barnes and Ademola Lookman - only for Adam Webster and Enock Mwepu to score equalisers.

While Leicester scored all of their penalties, Neal Maupay struck his against the crossbar for Brighton before Mwepu's shot was saved by Danny Ward.

Lucas Moura scored Tottenham's goal in a 1-0 win at Burnley, and Ivan Toney scored one and set up another for Brentford in a 2-1 win at second-tier Stoke.

Chelsea, Arsenal and third-tier Sunderland advanced to the quarterfinals on Tuesday.

The draw for the last eight takes place on Saturday.

Australian Associated Press