MORE than than 15,000 people in the Central West cast their vote during the first five days of pre-poll voting in the region.
In the lead up to the federal election on May 18, early voting has become available for eligible voters and many have already taken up the opportunity to have their say.
The Calare electorate has seen the largest number of pre-poll votes cast, with 5096 in the first five days alone.
This was followed by the Hume electorate with 4111 votes, Riverina at 3422 and Parkes with 2687 votes cast so far.
Data provided by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) shows that between 95 per cent to less than 98 per cent of eligible people in the Calare and Parkes electorates are enrolled to vote.
Enrolment rates are higher in the Hume and Riverina electorates, with 98 per cent or more of eligible people enrolled with the AEC.
The deadline to enrol to vote or to change your enrolment details was April 18.
If you don't vote, the AEC will send you a 'please explain' letter and you could face a fine of $20.
Voting is compulsory for every Australian citizen aged 18 years or older.
Early voting eligibility
You can vote early either in person or by post if on election day you:
- are outside the electorate where you are enrolled to vote
- are more than eight kilometres from a polling place
- are travelling
- are unable to leave your workplace to vote
- are seriously ill, infirm or due to give birth shortly (or caring for someone who is)
- are a patient in hospital and can't vote at the hospital
- have religious beliefs that prevent you from attending a polling place
- are in prison serving a sentence of less than three years or otherwise detained
- are a silent elector
- have a reasonable fear for your safety.
Pre-poll voting locations
- Dubbo - 88-90 Macquarie Street. Check times.
- Bourke - PCYC Bourke, Wilson Street (opens May 15). Check times.
- Broken Hill - 334, Argent Street. Check times.
- Cobar - Council chambers, 26 Linsley Street (opens May 13). Check times.
- Gunnedah - Gunnedah Town Hall, 144-152 Conadilly street (opens May 11). Check times.
- Moree - Moree Masonic Centre, 21 Chester Street (opens May 13). Check times.
- Narrabri - 128-130 Maitland Street (opens May 13). Check times.
- Cowra - Cowra Uniting Church, 75A Darling Street (opens May 11). Check times.
- Forbes - St John's Anglican Church, 3-5 Court Street (opens May 11). Check times.
- Kapooka Milpo - Boughton Centre Blamey Barracks (opens May 16). Check times.
- Parkes - Parkes Uniting Church, 17 Court Street (opens May 11). Check times.
- Young - Young Town Hall, 189 Boorowa Street (opens May 11). Check times.