Festival sparks interest

Food for all: Food and wine sellers lined the sides of Pym Street in Millthorpe.
Food for all: Food and wine sellers lined the sides of Pym Street in Millthorpe.

It was wet and it was cold, but considering that it was some of the first rain in a long time no one was complaining about the conditions at the inaugural Winter Fire Festival food and wine market in Millthorpe’s historic Pym Street.

In charge: Fire warden Bruce Yarnold and John Harrison enjoy the warmth from the firepits.

In charge: Fire warden Bruce Yarnold and John Harrison enjoy the warmth from the firepits.

Burgers, sliders, pizzas and more were all washed down with locally hand-crafted beer and wine, or a warming glass of mulled wine. 

Orange360 general manager Caddie Marshall said hundreds of people from Sydney and the region attended events ranging from stargazing to markets and wassailing over three days and that the event was certain to return again next year.

“My understanding was most events had sold out. Definitely we will be doing it again,” she said.

“I see this will be an event that will continue to grow like our other signature events.”

The windy conditions led to the fireworks being cancelled in Millthorpe, however the markets themselves were enjoyed by the nearly 2000 people who visited the village.

President of the Millthorpe Village Committee Sam Yeates said that the potential of the market was massive considering the turnout on what was a cold and wet night.

“It was amazing given the weather and the forecast and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves,” he said.

Mr Yeates said that the committee will now be looking at what worked well and what could be improved.

“The stallholders were all happy and in particular the shops in town were very happy with the night,” he said.

“In fact the lolly shop ran out of paper bags he was so busy.”

Some extra tables and seating for those to enjoy their meals is one of the additions that are to be made.

“With the Millfest celebrations in December we have the hay bales for tables and chairs, but we were really loathe to use them because of the risk of embers from the fires,” Mr Yeates said.