Once again the delightful Rashida Qureshi spoke to us about the Muslim religion and her conversion to it.
This month she focused on the five pillars of the Muslim faith, which are:
- Belief in the prophet Muhammad.
- Prayer - a special prayer is said 5 times each day.
- Ramadan - a special time of fasting when for the period of one month no food or drink is consumed between sun up and sunset.
- Contribution of 1.5% of a Muslim's wealth to the poor.
- Pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in your lifetime.
Rashida stressed that most of these are guidelines only and are undertaken only if personal circumstances permit.
She told us that there are Mosques in Bathurst, Orange, Dubbo and Young - something most of us were unaware of.
Once again, we considered ourselves very fortunate to have Rashida speak to us and to have the opportunity to ask her questions about the Muslim faith.
Quite a few months ago Blayney VIEW Club submitted a resolution to the National Committee focusing on the removal of Stop and Give Way signs from disused Railway lines.
Unfortunately our resolution was not selected to be taken to National Conference but the following resolutions, which VIEW will now lobby the Government for were:
- Safe and affordable housing for women.
- Better support for students to prepare for their post-school futures.
- Reduce the use of plastic to assist our environment.
Our club is continuing with our effort to have a photo taken of the VIEW Club promotional purple poncho being worn by members of the various villages which are part of the Blayney Shire.
The guest speaker at our next dinner meeting on 18th May will be Maree Smith who has said she will speak about an ordinary life with a few highlights. Sounds intriguing! Any lady in the community who would like to join us can do so by phoning 0457 672 748 before Friday 14th May.