Blayney Bears' league tag side powers home against Cowra

Cowra League Tag captain coach Stacey Ashe tries to pass Abby Stammers' defence.
Cowra League Tag captain coach Stacey Ashe tries to pass Abby Stammers' defence.

Once more the Blayney Bears are enjoying the sweet taste of victory, and this time the league tag side have joined in the feast.

Up against the Cowra Magpies on Sunday the league tag notched up their first win for the season, although captain Sophie Stammers believes the side can improve in one crucial area.

"Whenever we had the ball we managed to score a try so that's a positive, but we need to work on our defence and how we move up in a line," she said.

Blayney opened the scoring with a try in the seventh minute with a converted try.

The Bears extended their lead with a second six pointer in the 24th minute before Cowra finally registered their only points of the half through a try to Ellie Blackadder in the final seconds of the first period.

Cowra dominated for long periods of the second half and came close a number of times, denied on one occasion after a well placed kick by half Chelsea Apps.

The Cowra pressure was finally rewarded when Blackadder scored her second to bring Cowra right back into the match 12-8.

The Magpies failed to complete their first set after points, allowing the Bears to hit straight back through a try to Abby Stammers which stretched her side's lead to 16-8.

Trailing 16-8 with just minutes left on the clock Gambrill crossed, within kicking range, to give the Magpies a chance at victory.

Even with the conversion attempt by Magpies captain coach Stacey Ashe being waved away the Magpies were finishing strongly, down 16-12.

Their chances were extinguished by a penalty goal in the dying seconds which allowed Blayney's Sarah Coleman to stretch the final score to 18-12 in favour of Blayney.


Two late tries by the Blayney Bears against the Cowra Magpies last weekend have given the side a worthy two from two winning streak, and this weekend they're looking for the hat trick.

Bears co-coach Ryley Oborn said that the team's confidence was well up after their first win against CYMS, but they had made one too many unforced errors during the match against Cowra.

"The game was pretty back and forth with a lot of errors and we gave ourselves a lot of opportunities to score, but we couldn't execute them," he said.

Oborn said that panic began to settle in at one stage and soon after the Bears were up 16-6, they let Cowra score back-to-back tries, a moment the spurred them into action.

"The boys could have let them roll all over us, but we fought hard to get back in the game and began to control the ball and get a few more points on the board by scoring two tries pretty quickly."