Our dinner in May was well attended and we were delighted to have another superb meal and a little of the history of Blayney and local villages revealed to us by member Elizabeth Russ who was our guest speaker.
Many of us were well aware of the 'bones' of our local history but Elizabeth also revealed some lesser known facts.
Carcoar was the third oldest settlement west of the mountains with the earliest settlers arriving in 1821.
The first land was granted in 1829 and by 1850 it was the most popular town west of the mountains.
Carcoar school, which opened in 1857 is one of the oldest continuous schools in Australia!
Kings Plains was the name given to the area around Blayney, and it is believed that Blayney was to have been called Kings Plains.
Many early residents gave their addresses as 'Blayney, Kings Plains'.
Blayney was gazetted in 1843 and it has had three names - Township of Kings Plains, Blaney and Blayney.
Blayney's first plots of land were offered for sale in 1844 for eight pounds.
Prior to Federation there were two Municipal Councils - one based in Blayney and one at Carcoar.
One of the first jobs for the clerk of the Blayney Municipal Council was to put out tender notices for the supply of 800 alignment posts needed to form up streets in Blayney. Some of these posts can still be seen near the post office.
Lyndhurst's' history is based around gold! Initially it was a small settlement divided by a waterway but the influx of miners in the 1870's and 80's saw the village move ahead. By the late 1880's Lyndhurst boasted a post office and school and the railway station was opened in 1888.
The mining area around Lyndhurst is now known as Junction Reefs.
Mandurama was established as a private settlement to provide housing for the workers at Thomas Icely's property, Cooming Park. Because of the number of itinerant workers as well as miners, the village was initially somewhat chaotic but by 1875 laying out of streets had begun.
The government was somewhat reluctant to supply facilities, as it was a private settlement but by 1877 there had been a post office and school established.
Neville began its life known as Number One Swamp! It has in fact had a number of names over the years, having been known as Mount Macquarie, Village of Macquarie and finally in 1883, Neville.
Suburban lots were advertised in 1855 for 2 pounds and ten shillings per acre.
Two 'famous' persons with ties to the Neville area are John Vane and Michael Burke, both members of Ben Hall's gang.
Newbridge was originally known as Back Creek or Reedy Creek. The name Duramana, which has aboriginal origins, also came into play. Workers first came to the area around 1876 to work on the rail line construction and lived in tents.
When a post office was established in 1877 it was stated as being at 'Duramana, Back Creek Railway Platform, Great Western Railway Line'!
It was finally named Neville in 1883, after the parish in which it was located.
In 1954 during the Queen's visit to Australia, the royal train stopped overnight at Newbridge station as it was the only level spot on the railway line!
Millthorpe was originally called Spring Grove and developed due to its position at the crossing point for roads leading from Orange to Blayney and Flyers Creek to Bathurst.
Charles Booth, superintendent of convicts at Byng, was one of the earliest settlers, being granted land near the site of Millthorpe in 1830.
The Great Western Milling Company, established in 1882, had constructed a mill in the village by 1884 and locals met and voted to change the name to Millthorpe. Many believed that there were too many 'Springs' along the railway line, with Spring Grove, Spring Hill and Spring Terrace. The decision was carried 38 votes to 31.
BARRY was originally known as Five Islands and also developed as it became a focal point at crossroads linking other villages.
Confusion reigned as there was another 'Five Islands' in the Illawarra area. Most street names in Barry are named after prominent Anglican bishops of the era and evidence suggests that the village was named after Bishop Alfred Barry, third bishop of Sydney.
Thank you Elizabeth for a very enjoyable history summary and also for the lovely photos, which 'slid by' on the screen during the talk.
The next VIEW Club dinner will be on Tuesday, June 18 at 6.30pm for 7pm. This will be the last dinner before our two month winter break.
A reminder that you must let Ros know by Friday, June 14, if you will not be attending this dinner.
Our guest speaker on the evening will be Melise from Blayney Botanical, who will give us some advice on caring for indoor plants.